LCMC Health Patient Care Technician in New Orleans, Louisiana
University Medical Center New Orleans is the academic medical center of LCMC Health and the ultimate expression of a 275-year legacy of serving the people of New Orleans and South Louisiana. With our academic partners, including Louisiana State University and Tulane University Schools of Medicine, we are training the next generation of healthcare professionals and leading research to find tomorrow's cures and treatments. From expert primary care and the widest variety of specialty care to cutting edge emergency care and the region's only Level 1 Trauma Center, UMC offers the area the widest breadth of healthcare services.
Click here to view our state-of-the-art facility.
We are looking for medical professionals who are just as passionate as we are about providing the best medical care in the safest environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. Whether you're a seasoned healthcare professional or just starting out, a career at UMC places you at the center of a dynamic community of providers, learners and staff with a singular focus on patient-centric care. We offer a state-of-the-art facility with breakthrough technology, and professionals committed to helping our community become healthier.
POSITION SUMMARY:The purpose of the job is to provide direct patient care to an assigned group of patients utilizing the team concept, under the direction of the Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Therapist.
• Facilitates and maintains a safe environment for patients and others: Performs the priority technical procedures required by the area/department/assignment safely, effectively, efficiently, and legally. These procedures include but are not limited to: basic life support (CPR); ADL's; restorative care; calculate intake and output, lifting, ambulating, transferring, positioning, weights, equipment use, vital signs and other non-complex tasks.
• Delivers basic patient care under the direction of the RN or other licensed healthcare provider: Prioritizes assigned tasks and patient care activities based on the following: acuity of the need, resource availability, customer/patient preference/request, and other departmental needs. Problem Recognition/Intervention: Reports abnormal patient findings and situations to RN or other licensed healthcare provider; Takes actions to correct unsafe conditions. Gives rationale for actions or decisions based on logic, successful experience, intuition, and/or established policies/procedures.
• Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members to identify actions to improve patient care: Seeks supervision or assistance when unable to perform effectively or safely, independently. Uses interpersonal-communication strategies with individuals that are intended to achieve desirable/acceptable outcomes/responses and perceptions of satisfaction by those involved.
• Contributes to continuity of patient care: Initiates and/or maintains job specific interventions to assure continuity of safe, effective, care for patients. Complies with established hospital/ departmental/personnel policies. Documents consistent with established guidelines.
• Delegation: Delegates safely and appropriately to other team members to accomplish direct patient care or support activities. Questions the appropriateness of a task that has been delegated by the RN/Licensed healthcare provider when there are concerns about scope of practice. Enters supply room(s) on nursing units as needed to perform necessary job functions. Refrains from manipulating or removing any intravenous fluids that are stored in the area.
1 year of experience in a related clinical area or equivalent training in a medical assistant, certified nursing assistant, or Emergency Medical Technician program.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
License/Certification: American Heart Association Basic Life Support-HCP
Preferred: Certified Nursing Assistant
UMC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.